10 Things My Newborn NEEDS

I am expecting baby number two in 2 months and I am super excited about it! Compared to baby number one I am definitely not buying anywhere near as much stuff as I did before. I get all those little email notifications that tell your about your baby's development and facebook posts and what not; and I am all the time seeing "Top baby items every new mom needs", "Top 10 things to get before your baby arrives", etc. I am on a VERY tight budget with the new baby on the way, especially with it being so close to Christmas. We have just moved here so we won't be having a baby shower or have family that can buy us stuff. So I thought I would share my list of minimalist NEEDS with everyone!

*Photo Credit U Count Photography*

1. Boobs!
  • These are totally free!
  • If you choose to exclusively breast feed the only things you will NEED is some nursing pads (you can even make your own) and a nursing bra or two (target has some pretty affordable ones).
  • Most moms CAN breastfeed. I don't remember the exact numbers but the percentage of moms that cannot breastfeed is very minimal. I could (and probably will) make a whole blogpost on this. If you are wanting the healthiest and most cost efficient food for your baby, breastfeeding is definitely the way to go. Do your own research. Don't just ask other moms, especially those who don't breastfeed. Find good resources from places like lalacheleague.com or kellymom.com. Go to the library and check out the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Build a support system of nursing mothers. You can do it!
2. Diapers
  • I cloth diaper which can be more cost up front but definitely cheaper in the long run! If you choose to do the same you will need a MINIMUM of 15 diapers to start. You will most likely be washing once a day with that small amount so the recommended start up amount is 25-30.
    • You do not NEED all the accessories suggested with cloth diapering although they are helpful. You can reuse your plastic grocery bags to put diapers in until you can afford a wet bag and ebf baby poop is water soluble so no need for a diaper sprayer till you start solids.
3. Wipes
  • I am going to make my own wipes. You don't NEED a sewing machine to do this you can simply use a needle and thread. There are a TON of tutorials on youtube.com for making your own wipes. I will also post a tutorial whenever I make mine. Or you can by them from a store, online, cut up old receiving blankets, buy some cheap flannel from your local store and cut it into squares, etc. 
4. Pacifiers
  • This is NOT a need for everyone, but since this is my personal minimalist list I am sharing I am going to include it. I breastfeed exclusively for the first 6 months and my last son was born 9lbs. 15oz. I simply can not meet the baby's need to suckle 24/7. I defiantly won't be able to with baby #2 since I will have a toddler to care for as well. So for me pacifiers are a NEED but I do not introduce them till AT LEAST 3 weeks so you can wait till after birth to buy these if you think you will need them too.
5. Receiving Blankets
  • Receiving Blankets are awesome! They make great light weight nursing covers, they double as burp rags (reason why you won't see burp rags on my list), you can use them as a changing pad, or even as an emergency cloth diaper! I always have a receiving blanket within arms reach of me with a newborn.
6. White noise!
  • Almost everyone has a phone that allows you to download apps. If you do then I suggest downloading the white noise app (there are plenty that are free). The first time your baby is crying and nursing, changing, rocking, etc. doesn't comfort them and you just don't know what to do follow these simple steps.
    • Turn on white noise
    • Awe in amazement how quickly your baby stops crying
  • If you don't have a phone that downloads apps invest in a white noise machine. You can get this travel one for $10 online, or they also sell it walmart, target, etc. I haven't bought it personally but it seems to have good reviews and affordable. Plus if you can't use your phone this one has the ability to travel with you!
    • http://www.amazon.com/myBaby-MYB-S100-9CTM-HoMedics-SoundSpa-On-The-Go/dp/B0097D4ZMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384272742&sr=8-1&keywords=MyBaby+MYB-S100+SoundSpa+On-The-Go
7. Clothes
  • If you have some onesies (I would say AT LEAST 4), 1-2 pairs of pants, a sweater or jacket if your baby is born in the colder months, some socks, and a hat or two your good, at least for the first month. You will be doing laundry every day but your baby will be comfortable.
    • I personally loaded up on clothes at a local consignment sale. My baby on the way got gowns with the little hand flaps, some pants, onesies, sweat shirts, jackets etc. for the first three months of his life and mommy spent less that $50 :)
8. A bassinet
  • This is another one of those things that is not a NEED for everyone but it is a need for me. I have a two year old and 3 dogs I need somewhere safe I can lay the baby without the worry of his bother or a dog getting to him :) I also won't be buying a swing (had one with my last son HUGE waste of money), bouncer, or anything else to put the baby in other than my sling so this is just a personal need.
9. Baby Ktan
  • Although you don't have to get a baby k'tan I strongly recommend some kind of baby carrier. Car seats are supposed to stay in the car in my opinion (which is based off of alot of research and evidence) plus who wants to lug one of those HUGE car seat carriers around? If you have a baby carrier you don't have to get a stroller and will have 2 free hands for all the other stuff you have to juggle. Plus it comforts a cranky baby, makes it so you can clean, etc. 
10. Diaper Bag
  • You need a diaper bag. How else are you going to carry all this stuff around ;)
That is MY 10 things that I think my baby will NEED before he is born. This list obviously won't be a good fit for everyone but maybe it will be helpful for some. Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular Posts